When it comes to translating texts from German into English, or vice versa, nothing can beat a professional human translation. However, there are several useful online tools for non-professionals that can help you get results faster and for free. For example, you can use a free online translator to do the initial translation job and then manually correct mistakes it makes. In fact, most of the mistakes made by free online translation tools are a result of poor recognition of sentence structure and phrases. Thus, by adjusting the initial text you can greatly improve the quality of the automatic translation output.
In general, a typical German sentence tends to be longer than a typical English sentence. Remember that the average English sentence has about 14 words. Therefore, when translating texts from German into English it helps to reduce the number of clauses in the long German sentences by breaking them into shorter sentences. If it is not possible to break up the long German sentence, make sure at least that the clauses are separated by commas. This will save you a lot of time when manually correcting the text after automatic translation. In addition, it is recommended to remove or to replace complicated language-specific phrases before performing machine translation.
Automatic Online Translators
There are automatic online translators that are being constantly improved and no longer just translate the text word by word. They use intelligent algorithms to recognize sentence structure, grammar and the actual meaning of expressions and phrases. Thus, differences in the translation among different tools can be quite significant. We have tested dozens of free online translators for the quality of their translations from German into English as well as from English into German. Sadly, none of the translators we know was able to deliver results that were better or even as good as those obtained from google translator when translating texts from German into English. However, for translations from English to German the Collins Dictionary Translator and the Bing Translator seemed to be about as good as google. Hence, we concluded that other developers do not seem to have resources to compete with google on quality and, therefore, you probably won’t be missing on anything if you just use the google translator. Those who are browsing the Internet with google chrome can also use the google translate extension.
Free Online Dictionaries
When correcting texts obtained from the google translator you should refer to an online dictionary to double-check for words that sound suspicious and do not seem to fit in. Below you will find a list of the most powerful German-English online dictionaries:
- BeoLingus Online Dictionary from the Technical University of Chemnitz provides not only translation of individual words but also examples of sentences, synonyms, proverbs and aphorisms in which the word is used.
- Leo Dictionary has a forum where members discuss various linguistic topics. For each translation you will get links to the threads in the forum where the word has been discussed.
- Dict.cc is similar to the one above with links to the related forum threads. This dictionary uses resources of the BeoLingus Dictionary of the Technical University of Chemnitz mentioned above and Mr Honey’s Business Dictionary.
- Pons Online Dictionary gives you examples of sentences from the Internet that illustrate how the word is used.
- Collins Online Dictionary also provides examples of sentences using the translated word.
- Linguee Dictionary offers sentence examples from their own database and from external sources. A free app for mobile devices is also available.
Other Useful Tools
If, after all corrections you made, you still are not certain about the quality of your translation into German, you can sign up with lang-8.com and have your text checked for free by one of the native German-speaking members. Lang-8.com is a community of language enthusiasts who are helping each other correct texts. Remember that you are supposed to return the favour and correct somebody else’s text written in your native tongue for free and so help them learn their target language.
Is a Free Online Translation Any Good?
Admittedly, the above piece of advice may not be suitable for everyone as it requires you to have a good knowledge of German as well as English to be able to prepare texts for free online translation and correct them afterwards. Although free translation tools are also used by professional human translators, the quality of the translated text will eventually depend on the human editor who is proofreading the final output. Beginners and those who need the top quality German-English translation should better use professional translation services.